Learn about financial resources that may help you save on your treatment
For U.S. residents only.
You’ll want to create a routine for taking TASIGNA® (nilotinib) capsules that works with your schedule. Below you’ll learn how to take your medication and find some practical tips for making TASIGNA part of your daily life. You can also download the TASIGNA Treatment Guide, so you have this information handy.
Your doctor will want you to take TASIGNA every day. You’ll be prescribed either 150 mg or 200 mg capsules. Here are some key facts to know about taking TASIGNA:
The usual dose of TASIGNA is 2 capsules in the morning and 2 in the evening.
Take your doses of TASIGNA 12 hours apart, with water.
Do NOT take TASIGNA with food. One of the most important things to know about taking TASIGNA is that it should never be taken with food.
Don’t eat 2 hours before and 1 hour after you take TASIGNA. You may drink water while you are not eating, before or after taking TASIGNA.
Why you must take TASIGNA on an empty stomach
Food may enhance your body’s absorption of TASIGNA. If you take TASIGNA with food, it may increase the amount of TASIGNA in your blood in an unpredictable way, possibly to harmful levels. This can cause dangerous side effects such as irregular heart rhythm.
If you cannot swallow capsules, try mixing TASIGNA in applesauce
If you are unable to swallow TASIGNA capsules, the contents of each capsule may be mixed in 1 teaspoon of applesauce or apple purée, and swallowed right away (within 15 minutes).
Tips for making TASIGNA part of your daily life
It’s important to set up your own routine for taking TASIGNA. Here are some tips you may find helpful:
- Take TASIGNA when you wake up: Some people find it helpful to take TASIGNA as soon as they wake up in the morning since they haven’t had any food for 2 hours or more. Once you take TASIGNA, you just have to wait 1 hour to eat breakfast. Be sure to allow 12 hours before you take your second dose of the day
- Set up reminders to take TASIGNA: Use your mobile phone to set alarms for when it’s time to take TASIGNA. You can also set up reminders as to when you cannot eat before taking TASIGNA—and when it’s okay to eat
- Decide what works for you: Everyone is different, so decide what type of routine works best with your schedule. Here are just 2 examples:
- Example 1: Eat breakfast at 8:00 AM. Take TASIGNA at 10:00 AM. Eat dinner before 8:00 PM. Take TASIGNA at 10:00 PM before bedtime
- Example 2: Take TASIGNA at 5:00 AM. Eat breakfast at 6:00 AM. Take TASIGNA at 5:00 PM. Eat dinner at 6:00 PM
- What to do if you miss a dose: Take your next dose at your regular time. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed dose
Food and medication considerations
|Do not eat grapefruit, drink grapefruit juice, or take supplements containing grapefruit extracts while on TASIGNA. This can raise the levels of TASIGNA in your body in an unpredictable manner.||
Certain medications may interact with TASIGNA in harmful ways. Before taking TASIGNA, tell your doctor if you are taking any other medicines. This includes medicines prescribed by other doctors you have seen, as well as medicines, herbs, and supplements that you buy without a prescription from a pharmacy, supermarket, or health food store. If you need to take antacids (medicines to treat heartburn) do not take them at the same time that you take TASIGNA. If you take:
- A medicine to block the amount of acid produced in the stomach (H2 blocker): Take these medicines about 10 hours before you take TASIGNA or about 2 hours after you take TASIGNA
- An antacid that contains aluminum hydroxide, magnesium hydroxide, and simethicone to reduce the amount of acid in the stomach: Take these medicines about 2 hours before or about 2 hours after you take TASIGNA
Learn about side effects of TASIGNA and get tips to help you manage them